09 September 2012

Joy

Today I found Joy. I went to church, sang hymns, learned about the gospel, and experienced joy. I then came home, made dinner and continued to experience joy. Later in the evening I played with my nephews and spoke with family and experienced even more joy. Today was a great day.

Joy isn't something you just feel. Joy is something you experience. Unlike happiness or sadness, joy doesn't come based on what others do--it's what you do. For me, joy comes when I quiet the negative voices in my head, the overly positive voices in my head (darn hypomania), and find myself. After I find myself I have to accept myself. When I do that I am at peace and have joy.

My path to joy is not necessarily your path to joy. And my path to joy varies from day to day. Some days I find it. Most days I miss it. Lately it has been completely absent from my life. For biological reasons, physical reasons, emotional reasons, and mental reasons I was too much preoccupied with other things in life to take the time to find joy.


I don't know why today is different than the last week. I don't know why today was special. I just know that today I see myself as something wonderful. I am not a perfect person. I will never be someone millions look to. I am simply me and that is enough.

The reality is tomorrow I'll probably forget to accept myself enough to feel joy. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, I'm starting a new job. I will probably feel inadequate and stressed and somewhere in there I'll forget that I'm good enough. When I forget that, how can I have joy?

But tomorrow or the next day or whenever I'm feeling lost, confused, depressed, or alone I can look back and remember this moment and know Joy is possible. It may be something I have to fight for every day. It may be something I can't experience as often as I want to, but today I bear witness that it is possible. I know because for the first time in a long time I am experiencing it.

Life can be rough. That doesn't mean I can't have joy.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you were able to experience this in spite of everything you have been having to deal with lately. At least you have this post to look back on and know that it's possible. I can be hard to forget those experiences and it's not the same when you read them, but you remind yourself that it is possible. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be respectful of others' opinions.